Crime Prevention and Safety
Building Site Theft and Vandalism
- Minimize the time that building materials and tools are left unattended.
- If expensive equipment is left on-site after hours consider hiring security personnel.
- Plan to have appliances and materials delivered and installed on the same day.
- Install expensive "high risk" items as close to hand over as possible.
- Clearly display the lot number, the name of the builder and an after hours contact number on all construction sites.
- Erect warning signage about building site crime on housing estates and individual dwellings.
- Identify and mark all materials and appliances.
- Liaise with surrounding neighbors and inform them about any development in the area.
- Distribute "open letters" to residents.
- Arrange with the local council for street lighting to be installed and operating on the day that construction commences.
- Inform the police about the construction and provide them with after hours contact details.
- Encourage construction workers to liaise with other builders and consider establishing a reference group to address security issues.